Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Choose your own adventure

As a child of the 80's and 90's, I read my fair share of "choose your own adventure" books. You know, the ones where you start reading a story and then throughout the book you have the chance to choose what happens next. I thought they were fun books as a kid. You just never knew where you might end up.

Now, as an adult, I know that in real life you don't make a choice part way through a story. Instead, the moment you make a choice is when the story begins. And sometimes you know exactly what the difficult, painful, complicated ending will be.

But you choose it anyway.

Though we've only been licensed for two years, Andy and I chose the twisting path of being foster parents ten years ago. In the fall of 2008, we attended a training class, filled out a bunch of paperwork, thought we were ready to move ahead...and then found out I was pregnant with Simon. This big news resulted in a long, winding detour, but after the birth of our second son and the completion of an international adoption (a whole different story), we were back to where we'd started. In a foster care training class.

I admit that the first time we took the class we were idealistic. Our parenting experience consisted of two beta fish who lived for about a month, two cats from the shelter, and one very amiable 2-year-old boy who never disobeyed and who potty-trained in mere days simply to please me. Plus, we were in our 20's. What did we know?

But we made the choice and eventually circled back to it. The second time our idealism was gone. Obliterated by the unmet expectations of adulthood, family conflicts, death and loss, experiences with trauma-informed behaviors, and over a decade of marriage. This time we knew what it meant when the social worker said, "It's going to be hard." We knew what it meant to feel lost and hopeless. Knew how deep the word hard could be.

We chose it anyway.

There are times I wish I could escape the pain. The hard. Times I almost wish I could go back to the beginning of the story and choose a different adventure. But if I did--if I flipped back to the first page and skipped all those chapters of heart-wrenching foster-care agony in favor of an easier ending--then I'd have to skip all the good parts, too. And I'd always wonder what I'd missed. I'd always wonder who would've helped the kids who came to our house if it wasn't us? Would they have been good people? Kind? Would they have loved them like we did?

So we keep reading, keep turning pages, knowing what lies ahead. Knowing it's going to hurt. And we trust in God, the Author of all Stories, to give us the strength to keep going. One adventure at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! Our first placement was an amazing, medically complex, little girl- just 8 days away from her second birthday. We had her for almost 29 months and saw her through multiple surgeries, 8 months of peritoneal dialysis at home for 12 hours/day then 3 months of hemodialysis 5 days/week at the hospital. She received a kidney transplant and was doing great for 15 months. We were in the process of adopting her when she died unexpectedly at home less than 48 hours after a routine surgery. Our family is devastated and will never be the same.

    We would choose it all over again. We would choose *her* again even knowing the outcome. Foster care is difficult and uncertain but we would do it all again and in fact, we are. Our new little guy came to us four months after we lost our daughter. So here we are again and while I wish I could take away the pain, I cherish it because without the pain, I would have missed, as you said, the good parts- the love, the laughs, the hugs, the lessons.

    May God bless you and all of your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what an amazing story. Thank you for sharing. I'm so sorry for your loss and so inspired by your courage to choose to love again anyway. May God give our family the strength to do the same. Blessings to you!

      Delete