Monday, January 25, 2016

Song for a friend

I have a friend who is dying of terminal cancer. I use the term friend even though I've only met her a couple times because she's that kind of person. The kind who seems to somehow love and understand you from the beginning. She's the kind of person I aspire to be.

This beautiful woman is close to my age and has three daughters. The struggle she is facing is beyond my comprehension and beyond my ability to put into words. But I wrote a song for her because I had to try. I had to try, because in some small, tiny way I feel her pain. And I'm grateful for her example of peace and grace in the midst of heartache.

Her trial reminds me that only God can ease our deepest, darkest, most soul-shattering pain. We can try to lessen it in other ways but only God can take it from our hearts. This song is called Morphine, and we all live with pain so I hope maybe it will speak to someone today.


P.S. Before anyone comments about the bags under my eyes: Yes, I am tired; no, I haven't showered; and no, I didn't think about either of those things before videoing myself. Oh well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment